I'm back with a new book! XD This one is going to be quite different then my other and it might surprise you when you figure out what it's about.

Actually, I'm doing this for school so I'm open to any criticism as long as it's not just someone complaining that they don't like the book or saying that a name or person looks funny. I'll be posting the rough draft so I haven't revised or edited it at all meaning that the grammar won't be very good and I might accidentally skip over a few words in sentences. (I do that sometimes because of my fast pace of typing...)

Also, this book will take me much longer to write than the others because I have to follow an outline that I made (I hate outlining...) and the chapters are much longer than my usual ones. (I might actually change the chapter size.)

So! Without further rambling, enjoy the story!

Character Pictures:

Jilara:

Tech:

(More pics coming soon!)

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last chapter!!

I'd love to hear input on this one so don't be afraid to tell me if I left something hanging, was to repetitive or need to add something more.

Chapter 12:

It was finally over. I had gotten Jay and mom back and Nylic wouldn’t be bothering us anymore. Suddenly, I didn’t have a clue what to do now and slowly sat down on a rock, staring out into the distance. I had done it…and I still couldn’t believe it. Jayrin was standing a little ways away, still looking a little confused and frightened so I got up and walked over to him.

“Hey.” I said, a little awkwardly.

It had been ten years and I didn’t have any idea what to say to him. He glanced over at me cautiously, studying me.

“H-how do I know that you’re really Jilara?” He asked slowly. “Nylic tried to trick me…. How do you know that it’s really you?”

This I hadn’t expected but after thinking for a moment I reached up ran my fingers through my hair, letting it fade to a dark purple and shorten slightly.

“He didn’t know about us being half Daelin did he?” I asked smiling. “He only knew that we were half Draekeer.”

Jayrin embraced me in relief and I gladly wrapped my arms around him too, burying my head in his shoulder.

“It really is you.” He said softly. “I thought I was just in another dream.”

Tears had already sprung to my eyes and I let out a choked laugh.

“You’ve had dreams about me?”

“Quite a number of them.” Jayrin said, leaning his head against mine.

“I did too…but I didn’t know if you were still alive or not.” I said, biting my lip to keep my voice from wavering.

“I am now.” He said softly, tightening his arms around me.

Neither of us let go for a long time. I could tell that he was trying not to cry as well but I had just given up trying to stop the tears. Everything was just coming out now. All the fear, worry, sorrow, pain, and regret were pouring out through the tears. So what if I looked pathetic? I didn’t care anymore. Very slowly, we let go of each other and I turned away slightly, wiping the tears away with a small chuckle.

“Finally meeting again and I can’t stop crying.”

Jayrin laughed slightly and quickly smeared away a few tears of his own. The mood happy suddenly began to disappear as my gaze drifted over where the motionless Tech was lying and my smile faded instantly. Slowly, I walked over to him and knelt down. Jayrin sat beside me, studying Tech. I wasn’t sure if he knew who he was or if Jay remember anything that he did when he was being controlled by Nylic, but he seemed to sense that Tech was close to us somehow. The silence drifted on and there was a soft chirp of the evening birds down in the forest below.

“What am I going to tell Zeth and Ria?” I whispered, the tears still rolling down my cheeks.

Jayrin still stayed silent and looked at Tech for a long moment before reaching forward and lifting his shirt slightly to see the wound clearer.

“I think I know what I was doing when I…” He swallowed slightly and didn’t finish the sentence. “Anyways, I don’t know if he’s dead.”

I looked up at Jayrin in hope and reluctantly put my fingers to Tech’s neck, feeling around for a pulse. My hand was shaking slightly and Jay slowly put his hand over mine to steady it. Biting my lip, I began to feel fear rising in my chest as there was no pulse to be found, but Jayrin guided my hand farther down Tech’s neck and I let out a little gasp as I felt it.

“He’s alive!” I exclaimed.

Jayrin smiled and nodded.

“The wound wasn’t fatal but if we don’t get help soon, he could end up dying.” He said glancing around.

“So you remember everything from when you were…being controlled?” I asked, looking at Jay.

He cringed slightly and nodded, looking out into the distance.

“But that could be a good thing because I know a few short cuts around here.”

“Is there one off the mountain that doesn’t involve climbing down a cliff?” I asked, glancing at Tech.

Jayrin closed his eyes, thinking slowly.

“There might be…I can’t remember it clearly, but I think I might be able to work it out.” He said opening his eyes.

I nodded and carefully pulled Tech up so his arm was around my shoulder. Jayrin took his other arm and did the same, nodding in the direction we had to go. Wordlessly, I followed him, not able to keep up much of a conversation. He didn’t seem to mind much and appeared to be deep in thought as he tried to remember the way. It didn’t seem to far from the one Nylic had taken us up by. We came to a narrow path that ran along the side of the mountain. It was incredibly steep but seemed like the only option we had. We had to walk sideways because it wasn’t wide enough for us to walk side by side and I carefully kept my eyes in front, knowing that the drop went all the way to the ground. Jayrin when first and we slowly walked down the sharp incline, taking our time so we didn’t end up sliding down. The entire way down was that little path and it took us almost thirty minutes to finally reach the ground. I felt so glad to be safe, I almost sat down but Tech prevented me from doing so. Jayrin glanced around the forest in front of us and paused for a moment. I glanced back at the mountain and saw the path that we had taken the first time to go up. My heart leapt as I spotted my mom and the now conscious Sliph waiting there.

“Mom!” I called, waving my hand to get her attention.

She looked up, startled and saw us, quickly coming over with Sliph following. Quickly, I explained that Tech was still alive and we needed to get him to a healer quickly. She nodded, giving a warm smile to Jayrin and then glancing at Sliph.

“I told him everything you told me but he doesn’t know the way out of the forest.” She said.

“This way.” Jayrin said, pointing into the forest and starting off.

We kept out pace fast, but we weren’t quite running. It was hard to carry Tech so we began taking turns and switching off. Even Sliph helped out. After we all adjusted to carrying him, we began running. This was a completely different part of the forest than Nylic had taken us but Jayrin seemed to remember it better. Sliph seemed a little dazed but was able to keep up with us. It was rather weird to have him around when he didn’t remember anything we said to him before. With Nylic, it had taken us a little more than a day and a night to reach the Mt. Delm but within two hours, we had already come to the town where we had hired the fake Sliph. Jayrin seemed a little more warn out than all of us and I knew that the stone had probably taken a lot out of him so we quickly located the local healer. None of us had any money anymore but the healer agreed to fix Tech up to the point where he was no longer lingering on the edge of death. We all rested in the living room of the healer’s house and gladly accepted the warm tea that the healer offered us. Jayrin sunk down in a chair to rest and I turned to Sliph.

“You don’t have to stick around for much longer if you don’t want to. I know there are probably a lot of things you need to see to.” I said.

Sliph smiled and his eyes glittered slightly.

“I can’t thank you enough for getting me out of there.” He said.

“Don’t worry about it.” I said, returning the smile, and feeling my cheeks heat up slightly.

“Are you sure I can’t do anything to help?” He asked, glancing between me and my mom.

“Well, if there was a way you could arrange a ride to take us to the village near here.” My mom said.

“It’s just down that road a ways.” I said, pointing down the road that leads out of the town.

Sliph nodded.

“I’m sure I can find something.” He said, heading towards the door. “I’ll be back in a few hours.”

“Thank you so much.” I said smiling brightly.

Sliph smiled back and nodded, leaving. My mom also sat down and glanced over at Jayrin, who had already dozed off. She smiled slightly and then watched me as I leaned against the windowsill.

“You might want to get some rest Jilara, you’ve been working hard.” She said.

“I’m fine.” I said. “Besides, I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep peacefully until Dad is back.”

She nodded and shrugged slightly, leaning her head back in the chair and closing her eyes. I let out a long sigh; it was so strange now that I didn’t have anything I had to do anymore. It seemed like I had been running around for the past few days thinking that I was running out of time when I probably could have taken my time. The hours began to slowly tick by and I was completely lost in my thoughts. My mom and Jayrin continued sleeping soundly and I didn’t want to wake them. Sliph returned within three hours and he had with him a sturdy wagon pulled by two black horses. Removing myself from the void of my mind, I smiled at him and went outside.

“I was able to convince a friend to let me borrow this for a while. I thought it’d be better if we had a wagon instead of horses because of your friend’s condition.” He said.

I smiled thankfully at Sliph and nodded.

“Yes, it would. Thank you so much for this.”

He smiled back and glanced inside.

“How’s he doing?”

“I don’t know. I was too busy thinking to notice anything.” I said with sheepish look.

We headed back inside and mom had woken up. By the next hour, the healer reported that Tech was slowly recovering and we were able to move him now. Sliph and mom carefully carried him outside to the wagon. The healer had put Tech on a long wooden board so it was easier to transport him. As I woke Jayrin, he gave a starp start but I put a hand on his arm and he calmed down slowly, putting a hand to his head.

“Bad dream?” I asked with a small smile.

Jay nodded and then looked around. It seemed to take him a while to remember what happened but he soon relaxed when he did and we walked to the wagon. Sliph had decided to come with us again so that it would be easy to return the wagon and he also wanted to get to know us a bit because we seemed to be interesting to him. Tech was laid on the floor in the back and mom watched over him while Sliph sat up from driving and Jay and I talked with him. We kept our pace fairly fast because I was anxious to see my dad again but it was still rather slow to me.

“So how did Nylic capture you?” I asked.

“I captured him actually.” Jayrin said self-consciously. “Nylic never did much and always avoided action because he wasn’t the greatest fighter.”

“Oh, so you were the captain guy with that mask.” Sliph said putting the pieces together.

“Yeah…” Jay said, ashamed.

“He was being mind-controlled in a way.” I interjected for Jay.

“Ah, I see. No hard feelings then.”

Jay smiled slightly and Nylic went back to describe how Jay had captured him.

“I was actually in the middle of guiding this group of people in a safe way through the forest when I got hit with something and blacked out. Hmm…I wonder what happened to those people.” Sliph said thoughtfully.

“They managed to get out of the forest and find the main road.” Jayrin said, staring out at the passing forest.

“Well that’s good. They were nice people.”

“So you’ve were unconscious all that time?” I asked.

“Yep. Hey look! There’s our stop.”

He pointed up ahead and I was able to see the outline of buildings in the distance. My heart leapt and I leaned forwards slightly as if that would get us their faster. Sliph seemed to notice my anticipation and chuckled, urging the horses to go faster. It was only ten minutes before we reached the small village and I literally jumped out of the carriage and ran up the stairs once we came to the healer’s house. Dad was standing on the porch as if he was expecting us and he smiled as I ran up to him and threw myself in his arms.

“I did it!” I cried happily. “I brought them back.”

He hugged me back tightly and I could tell that he had missed me greatly.

“I knew you would.” He said softly, kissing my head. “I’m so proud of you Jilara.”

Tears involuntarily started filling my eyes but I quickly held them back as I let go of my father and glanced back as mom got out of the carriage. We walked down the steps and I smiled brightly as mom looked over at dad. He walked over to her and looked her over.

“Are you alright?” He asked softly.

She smiled and suddenly threw her arms around his neck.

“I am now.” She said, kissing him deeply.

I giggled and glanced at Jayrin who was rolling his eyes with a small smile on his face. Sliph and Jayrin carefully carried Tech out of the wagon and up to the healer’s house. Herriot had come out of a room and her face went pale as she saw Tech. I had followed them inside and quickly reassured Herriot that he was alright. After she heard the story of what happened, she quickly went to fetch Maeris who was reading in the back room. Jayrin glanced at me with a small smirk.

“It seems she’s rather fond of Tech.” He said with a chuckle.

Grinning, I nodded slightly. I had noticed it when we were here before but I had shrugged it off, now I knew that she definitely had a crush on Tech. Maeris and Herriot carefully carried the board into a spare room and began working. My parents shortly came in and Jayrin seemed to be avoiding eye contract with either of them. Dad instantly caught onto this like he usually did.

“Aeristat told me about what happened.” He said, watching Jayrin.

He didn’t reply and continued staring at the picture on the wall, pretending to be studying it carefully. Dad stood beside him and put an arm around Jay.

“You didn’t have a choice in what you did so it’s not your fault.” He said softly.

Jayrin dropped his gaze to the floor and was silent for a long while.

“B-but…” His voice wavered slightly and he paused for a moment so he could get a hold of it. “But I killed people…lots of people. I almost killed Tech and I would have killed Jil and Mom too if I was told too.”

“But you didn’t and that’s all that matters. If you weren’t being controlled, would you have killed those people?”

“No...I wouldn’t have.”

“Then it’s alright to let it go. You can’t go back and change what happened just like I can’t go back and change what happened to you and your mother.”

Jayrin finally broke down and tears slowly began rolling down his cheeks. Dad pulled him into a hug and smiled slightly.

“That’s right. You can let it out.” He whispered, putting a hand on the back of Jayrin’s head.

Jayrin slowly put his arms around dad and buried his face in his shoulder. I was almost tearing up just by watching but I pulled my gaze around and sat down beside mom on the couch, taking her hand. She had also watched and was smiling. Time passed in a heartbeat and it was suddenly night time. Tech was quickly recovering with the help of Maeris and Herriot and he was now conscious and able to walk around a bit but they wanted to keep him overnight just to be cautious. No one had any objections and I finally slept peacefully. The morning came swiftly and suddenly. Sliph announced that he was going to leave and we all exchanged our farewells. Dad’s wound was practically healed and we were only waiting for Tech to be strong enough to make a portal to take us all home. We sat around the entire day, talking and I was happy to see that Jayrin had returned to his normal cheerful self. Tech and Jayrin had been able to overlook the incident from before and soon were talking again like friends. Jayrin had finally made the connection that we were cousins and began to remember a few things from when they were younger.

“But once you and Aerista disappeared, Sage got rather distant and I didn’t know why.” Tech said as they were talking about what happened when it was just me and dad.

“Really? Why was that?” Jay asked, glancing at dad.

He smiled slightly.

“Zeth didn’t explain it to you? I usually distance myself from everyone because it keeps them safe. That’s what I had to do when I was younger to prevent getting others involved.”

“Ah, now it makes sense!” Tech said. “I wonder why he didn’t explain that to me.”

“Zeth sometimes forgets things.” Dad said with a chuckle.

“So that’s why I didn’t seem them that often.” I said, understanding. “Well now we can have them over a lot, right?”

Dad chuckled.

“If you like.” He said with a shrug. “First things first. Feeling strong enough Tech?”

Tech glanced at his hand and thought for a moment.

“Well, I could try.” He said, standing up.

“Just make sure to get us to the right place. I won’t want to end up walking out into the middle of a forest somewhere.” Mom said with a wink.

“Don’t worry; I’ll make sure I get it right.” He said with a smirk.

Standing up, Tech held out his hand in front of him and closed his eyes. Very slowly a small disk of blue light appeared in the air in front of him and began to grow. Tech cringed as it stretched wider and then began to swirl with different shades of blue. He only stopped when it was as tall as him and wide enough for him to walk through. Tech quickly sat down and wiped a bit of sweat from his forehead, panting slightly.

“T-there.” He said.

Dad smiled and patted Tech on the shoulder.

“Good work.”

Herriot and Maeris were watching a little ways away and we decided to say our goodbyes now. Dad both thanked them gratefully and I gave them a hug. Mom shook their hands with a smile and Jayrin just smiled slightly, not knowing them well. Tech hugged Herriot and I noticed that she was tearing up now.Herriot suddenly kissed him quickly on the cheek and then fled into a room shutting the door quickly in embarrassment. Jayrin and I were snickering quietly in the corner. One by one we stepped through the portal and found ourselves in Tech’s living room. Ria almost dropped the plates she was carrying when she saw us but Zeth quickly caught them. Aerista and Ria hugged each other tightly and I smiled, forgetting how good friends they had been when they were younger. Zeth smiled and gave a nod to Dad, not being one for emotional greetings. Everyone received a kiss on the cheek from Ria and Tech rolled his eyes, embarrassed by his mom’s actions but I didn’t mind at all. After spending a few hours explaining everything that happened we said our goodbyes yet again, promising to visit really soon.

“See you two at school tomorrow.” Tech said with a smile.

I had completely forgotten about school and groaned slightly as I thought of the stack of homework waiting for me. Jay had to pull me through the portal leading home because I was dreading school but I let him. The familiar scent of my house met my nose. Instantly, a feeling of safety and peace overcame me. We all sat silently in the living room for a long moment, not needing to speak. Snuggling up against Jayrin, I smiled and he put an arm around me. I had been longing for this for such a long time I hadn’t even noticed it, but now, I felt like my life was normal again. Finally, after years and years of waiting, I had my family back and there was no way I was letting anything take them away again.

The End.

Aww... So sweet!

YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The day was won, Tech is alive and everyone is back together! TvT I'm so happy I could burst!

What an awesome story! XD

Thanks, I'm happy you enjoyed it. :) I'm glad that I'm finished.

Of course, school comes along and ruins the wonderful joy-filled mood!

school does seem to do that. I liked this story. I'm glad everyone came out okay.

Thanks. :) I'm probably going to rewrite it in the future. It's not my best story...

RSS

© 2021   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service