Codebearers

Nothing was known about her. Not a clue. 

How she ended up in Brandy Hall among the river-folk was a complete mystery to all save two.

She wouldn't speak about her past. She refused to let it haunt her, no matter how hard it tried.

She had a new life there in Buckland, and she would not let any dark memories take hold of her there.

Lili Grace, in her small form and fragile frame, had a courage in life that few others had.

Perhaps it was Merry's fault. After all, he was the one who she trusted better than anyone. He became an older brother to her, teaching her everything there was to know about living there in the East-Farthing. He taught her what courage meant the moment he held out is hand towards her when they first met that fateful night so long ago.

Lili Grace would not let the world destroy her. It didn't matter how big or strong she was. If that were it, she'd have been long since gone.

But here she was.

Now, life was beautiful and truly worth living with a smile. The grass was greener than any other. Breakfast was never a worried thought. A mishap firework was the only known threat to the Shire.

If only it could stay that way.

Yet all good things may cease

when life grabs you by the wrist

and whispers

"follow me..."

~

-

~

Lili Grace; my LotR Fanfiction Thingy-Magigger-Whateveritscalled.

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool! I can't wait for more of this. Nice job. :)

Oh thank you! I hope I'm able to write it somewhat well... XD

Lol. I'm sure you will. :)

Very nice! It felt LOTRish before I even knew it was LOTR.

Thank you very much!! :)

The halfling girl sat under the tree, listening to the wind blow gently through the leaves. Her eyes were closed as she listened intently. The sounds of the woods of the Green Hills filled her with peace, and, for a moment, a thought fluttered to her mind. No danger could reach her here, unless the world were to end.
She opened her eyes when the sound of soft footfalls reached her ears. Peeking out from behind the tree, she saw her friend only a few yards away, slowing down to a walk.
"Find anything?" she asked him as he reached the blossoming tree.
"Not today," came the reply, and, with a sigh, Merry sat down next to her. "But I heard that tomorrow she's going to Bywater to get spices. I heard her say something about tarts."
Of course, by 'her,' the two hobbits meant Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. And though she was a rotten old goose, as Merry's younger cousin had once thoughtfully put it, Lobelia had a talent in the kitchen. And Lili could already see the workings of a plan forming behind Merry's eyes.
Her suspicions were confirmed when an impish smirk worked its way across his face.
"Do you still have my tinderbox?" Merry asked her.
She reached into her pocket and pulled out the little brown box in reply. He took it from her hands and opened it, glancing quickly at the contents. He smiled. "This'll do nicely."
"What are you thinking of doing?" Lili asked him as he stuffed the box into his own pocket.
"We'll need some sort of distraction, won't we?"

The following morning, Lobelia, as Merry had reported, made her way towards Bywater. She hadn't noticed the silent shadow following her, dodging out of the way of anyone that passed along the road. He followed her only as far as the Three-Farthing stone. There, the shadow stopped.
He waited until Lobelia was well out of earshot, then pulled himself up onto the stone.
He whistled.
Nothing happened.
He waited a minute and tried again.
Again, nothing.
Merry sighed in frustration and tried a third time, and again, there was no response.
He sat upon the stone, whistling every few minutes but each time getting no more from it than the attempt before.
After about fifteen minutes, Merry stopped.
It was no use. Whoever he was waiting for wasn't there.
He felt his pockets. There was nothing to be found besides the tinderbox, a small pouch, and half a biscuit saved from breakfast, having been crumbled to pieces in his pocket.
He cursed himself for not bringing something to do.
He leaned back on the stone and stared up at the bright blue sky. A handful of clouds blew gently over the lands.

He didn’t know exactly how long he sat there, staring and marveling at the vast, unending expanse above him, when he heard a whistle, similar to that which Merry had used a while before.
He rolled his eyes and sat up. Merry looked towards the line of trees and caught sight of a figure approaching him. He recognized the coming halfling immediately.
Glancing quickly to make sure no one else was nearby, he raised his voice. “You’re at least half an hour late!!”
"Sorry," the hobbit said, re-adjusting the scarf around his neck as he reached the stone. “I lost track of time. I won’t do it again.”
“If I had a stone for every time you told me that, I could build a wall around the perimeter of the Shire… Twice.”
Peregrin smiled as Merry climbed down from the stone.
When he reached the bottom, he handed Pippin the pouch. “You need to go to Bywater. Two loaves of bread and a single bunch of flowers.”
“Wait…. Why?”
“I’ll tell you on the way back.”
He turned towards the town and began walking.
“What kind of flowers?” his cousin asked, running up to walk alongside Merry.
“Any type is fine.”
“How much time do we have?”
“Only about half an hour, thanks to your delay…”
“What kind of bread do you want?”
Merry stopped and gave a frustrated sigh. “Pippin. I am sure you are quite capable of choosing the bread you think is best. Now please be quiet.”
There was almost a whole moment’s silence.
Then…
“Merry?”
Merry said nothing.
Again. “Merry?”
Another sigh. “Yes, Pippin. You can spend whatever’s left on muffins.”
“That’s not…”
“Then what?”
Pippin was quiet for a moment. Finally, he spoke. “Do you think Gandalf knows about this?”
Merry, still walking, smirked. “You’d better hope not.”
“Do you think he’ll notice that the…”
“Peregrin. Please. PLEASE. Be quiet.”

That afternoon was busy for Merry, Lili, and Pippin. The two younger hobbits were ordered to tasks that could keep them busy until the moment came for them to split up. Merry wanted to make sure neither of them got into more trouble than they needed to be in for the time being.
“She can’t see Lili or I,” he ordered Pip. “Or the whole plan is ruined and we’re all toast.”
Of course, Master Peregrin asked his fair share of questions and some. It took up half of Merry’s sanity to keep from tying the kid up and leaving him behind. ‘There are other ways of getting one’s hands on pastries…’ he’d thought. More than once.
Yet no one was tied up, luckily. Merry’s plans did not include any rope for such a purpose this time.
Finally, the hour came for the great plan to be unravelled… and Merry had high hopes for this one.
He looked down at the small sparkler-box he’d found in the back of Gandalf’s wagon. The Wandering Wizard was there for one of Merry’s distant relatives’ birthday celebration the following evening, and he’s brought fireworks. Plenty of them.
Merry didn’t know exactly what the little one in his hand would do when he set it to the flame, but he had a basic idea. The thought made him giddy with excitement, but he kept a straight face as he worked.
He sent Lili off a ways towards the town while he had Pippin sneak around to the front of the Sackville-Baggins’ home.
Merry waited behind a tree nearby until his moment came. “Please don’t mess this up,” he muttered, watching Pippin reach down for the prized flowers that grew in the well-tended garden just beyond the porch. “Please don’t mess this up.”
Pip knelt below the front window as he chose the brightest rose he could find on the bush. He plucked it off, without cutting himself (for once), and, with a grin, stood up…
Right in front of the window.
Pippin heard a scream and the sound of breaking china inside and jumped in surprise, then turned to face Mrs. Sackville-Baggins through the window. He barely had time to turn and run before the front door was thrown open and Lobelia screamed after him. “PEREGRIN TOOK!!”
He stopped, bit his lip, and shyly turned around to face the disgusted-looking hobbit woman. She had recognized him the moment she'd laid eyes on him.
He was in for it, and Pippin, and Merry (who had to convince himself not to throw something at Lobelia) knew it.

This is great. :)

Thank you so much!! :)

No prob.  Keep working on this...I can't wait for more...

*thumbs up*

*grin of gratitude!*

RSS

© 2017   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service