After watching the three movies of The Chronicles of Narnia I have come to the conclusion that Narnia can be called whatever you want to call it, but it is not a series that has been inspired by God. There is no possible way that it could be. This is my reason why…

I believe that the Bible and God are the final authorities, and anything that defies them or preaches otherwise is, in essence, evil. With that said, I would like to show you a few things to support my statement about Narnia.

In the book The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Lucy is given a task to enter an invisible mansion and recite a spell to turn Dufflepuds, a wizard, and Aslan visible again. In the Bible spells like these are referred to as “familiar spirits”, “mediums”, “the fire”, etc.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes is son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,” Deuteronomy 18:10

Aslan makes Lucy do this as a “trial” or “test of her faith”. However, this verse specifically says that no one should give a trial to someone in this manner.

“Give not regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:31

After Lucy’s trial is complete a wizard is revealed and the four children must consult him to find their next destination. Again, this is forbidden by God.

“or one who conjures spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you.” Deuteronomy 18:11-12

In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Susan is sent back to the White Witch’s lair to bring the creatures back to life after being turned to stone. This also is an abomination. Before anyone takes anything for an allegory or says, “But it’s supposed to symbolize…” first take a look at what is being used to symbolize it. For example: many people say that Harry Potter is an allegory, yet any well discerning Christian would know better than to fall for that. Why, however, should we not call Harry Potter an allegory? A true Christian would say, “Because it strongly uses magic and magic is forbidden by God.” But Harry Potter symbolizes the good and the light in the world, so wouldn’t that cancel out all the bad magic. I mean after all the magic in Harry Potter is being used for good. Again, a true Christian that knows the Bible would say, “God forbids the use of magic.” That same Christian, however, will turn right around and praise Narnia for being a great allegory. What is the difference between the two? Because Narnia’s hero looks more like a Christ Savior than Harry Potter? This is foolishness and not just by my definition.

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1

As I stated before, I believe that anything that deifies God and/or the Bible or contradicts them or anything like that is, in essence, an appearence of evil.

“Abstain from all appearance of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Narnia is not in any way, shape, or form inspired by God. The God that the Bible speaks of, and the God that I know and follow, does not press a point in the Bible as far as the subject of witchcraft is pressed, and then turn around and inspire a story that relies on the use of magic. If you think for one second that He would do such a thing, then I pray for you.

“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.” Galations 1: 8-9

Written by Math Ew!

http://www.greatpreachers.org/narnia.html

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/006/narnia-trouble.htm

Views: 817

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Naw, I'm just reading what the Bible is telling me.  Misinterpreting the Bible, however, is a very dangerous thing.  I'm following the Word exactly by not using magic in any way.  Taking those verses, and using them, to say that all magic, in every shape and form, is evil is interpreting the Bible outside of what it expressly says.  It does not say that stories around the campfire about mystical things are evil.  It says that those who attempt to use those mystical things are evil. 

You want me to show you verses, but apparently you're the bible scholar here.  I don't need to provide verses of God saying it's good, because you haven't shown any verses that say it's bad in EVERY possible form.  So you show me the verse where God says that EVERYTHING relating to the word "magic" is evil.  I don't need those express words.  I just want a verse, from the Bible, in which God condemns magic in its entirety. 

Here's what I'm finding.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/magic

This seems like a lot of verses dealing with magic, but really, the majority of them are simply saying the same thing as those you've already posted.  And that is that those practicing magic (contacting spirits, speaking to the dead, fortune telling, etc.) are performing abominations against God.  Nowhere does it say that tales RECOGNIZED as FICTION (aka, not real, fake, imaginary, bogus) are evil.  Don't try to say that's because they didn't have books back then.  They had scrolls, they had legends, they told stories around the campfires.  God knew about those.  He knew what they were talking about and reading then, and He knew what we'd be talking about, watching, and reading now.  There isn't a single issue of sin today that God doesn't address very clearly somewhere in the Bible.  Gay sex is a perfect example.  The main argument for it not being a sin is that things were different back in the Bible days so what it says doesn't apply.  But if you take a look at the first chapter of Romans, you'll find Paul addressing that issue with crystal clear judgement and familiarity.  

God tells us, on no uncertain terms, what we should avoid and how to live pure lives.    He doesn't leave out details and then say, "oops, sorry guys, forgot to mention that one, 'fraid you're doomed now".  The verses I see dealing with magic CLEARLY say that the people who practice magic, "talk" to the dead, fortune tell, palm read, etc., are doing evil.  This is an undeniable fact.  Taking those same verses and using them to say that ALL "magic" is evil is stretching the word beyond what it says.  It's assuming to know that God is implying something else beyond what He says.  Which is something no man, woman, or child is capable of doing. 

I have given scriptures that show God telling us that magic is bad. He names some forms but I think He is hoping that we are mature enough in Christ to get the point by the end of the verse so that he doesn't have to list every single form of magic. Magic is bad.

I looked at your link and would like to point out a few that stood out to me that has to do with what we're talking about.

Colossians 2:8

1 Peter 5:8

Revelation 21:27

Those all prove my point. There are even more listed there. To include magic in stories is one thing. To make it represent the power of God is stepping into a accountablitity that is very dangerous. That is from the Bible.

There are so many verses listed there that when you add them all up God pretty much does cover every form of magic you can think of.

Le moment when Mike shuts kids up while turning them tables.

Swerd.

This is like candy for me- defending my beliefs and Christian fiction- I can't let this go by without putting my two cents in.

Let me start out by saying this: Narnia is NOT an allegory. Mr. C.S Lewis himself has said it. People often misuse the term 'allegory' out of the context it really means. Strictly speaking, allegory is a representation of someone or something that is a solid, hard fact (such as the Grand Canyon) in abstract way. People often concider novels such as Lord of the Rings as allegoric: the ring can be portrayed as sin. a person (or Hobbit) finds the ring, discovers unspeakable joy in it, and enjoys it immensely. The creature then becomes very harsh to anybody or anything that tries to pull the ring from it's possetion. In the end, the ring corrupts him and he has no hope of ever changing and becomes a hideous creature (both inside and out).  And then somebody finds the ring and we start all over again.

In while it does boldly proclaim the doctine of the bible, it does not fit the criteria for what we are looking for. Why? Because it is not completely, utterly, and wholly representitive of the bible. I've argued that topic against many men before and have prooven my rebuttle every time. Not to be rude or cocky, but what I have said is true. If you don't think so, by all means, let me know. But that, my friends, is the sole definition of allegory.

Now the real topic: magic. It's a subject that people either are completely against, or don't really care. There isn't all that much in between. For example, my good friend Josh and his family are completely against anything magic related. Thor, Brave, Avengers and other movies they have told me explicitly they will not see. They believe that because it is not true, it takes away from God. I for one, cannot agree. I personally think magic does not mean magic nessicarily. Let me explain: On one end of the spectrum you have what people like Josh are trying to avoid- and rightly so: deep dark magic like witchcraft and wicca that were never meant to be tampered with. Things of witchdoctors and tarot cards. God does NOT want us to be messin' around with that stuff. Then on the other end of the line you have things like Narnia. Yes, it still uses terms like witch and magic, but they are meant much differently then an old lady on a broom. It's a different concept and is used much more loosely than the former. In the end, more often than not literature that uses sorcery typically isn't good enough for people to take seriously. It's an abstract concept, but it's true. People just don't read Harry Potter and go, 'let's go cast a spell on my mom so she won't make me clean up my room' kids just don't take that kinda stuff for real.

So those are my thoughts. If you object, by all means, please say so.

I like what you're saying here. Narnia itself is a fun story. But when people start misunderstanding what allegory means and starts using the story to witness to people and build their faith on is going too far. Magic is magic and when you start using it as a respresentation of God's power is stepping into a certain accountablitiy. Movies like Avengers and Brave is using a supernatural magic (believe it or not it is actually mentioned in the Bible :-)) But at least they're not trying to say that it's from God.

PLEASE READ:

C.S. Lewis was a completely dedicated Christian who loved God and wrote so many books about God's love and grace and even some AMAZING allegory's like Screwtape Letters and etc. Narnia was his book for children and teenagers, and to say it isn't God Based, you might as well say Veggietales is straight out worldy then! The Wonderful Wizard of Ha's? Is that God Based kid? Wizards, Witches, and Fantasy creatures: When it comes to Wizards, I am comfortable with them as long as they don't use magical spells and dress in half moons and stars and what-not. Witches, The Witch from Narnia represents Satan! And yet you would accept the witches in Harry Potter but not in Narnia? STUPID MIND SET! Fantasy creatures: I am totally comfortable with any creature you tell me, Orc, Dragon, Goblin, etc. 

1: You are judging Narnia, and you haven't even met the mind behind it...C.S. Lewis! The Bible also says DO NOT JUDGE LESS YOU BE JUDGED! 

2: You are turning a good, Christian filled story into a franchise no one wants to see, but your saying a bunch of crap about it, ignoring the good morales! DO NOT SPREAD FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT EACH OTHER, and DO NOT LIE! 

3: Lastly, You are trying to manipulate peoples minds with all this hog-wash!  “There shall not be found among you anyone who makes is son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,” Deuteronomy 18:10

ASLAN IS TRYING TO TEST LUCY'S GIFTS AND FAITH! When God tests you, do you say God is commiting Witchcraft? There is lots more to say, but I don't have the time! All I'm saying is this: If this Discussion continues the way it's going, I will go to the Millers and report a very ridiculous discussion is in the works! I won't let some people offend an AMAZING franchise that I happen to love! 

-Ezra Guerra

1. If a cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket for parking in a no parking zone, is he judging you? No he is simply punishing you for breaking the law. I'm simply pointing out that some things that C.S. Lewis puts into his story is breaking some of God's laws. No judgment. Judgment is based on opinion that you get based on as little facts as possible. I have reserached and read C.S. Lewis' own biography and some of his stuff he says is very very questionable. Judgment isn't even close to this.

2. I'm not saying crap about it. I'm giving hard evidence from God that is showing that perhaps this story that we take as a great witnessing tool should not be what we start our faith with. I'm not spreading false info. I'm stating what is in the Bible and what is in the book and comparing them. False? The Bible is not false.

3. That scripture is talking about making someone go through a satanic trial. That has no application to what I'm doing here. I'm not making you guys go through that. I'm not trying to minipulate. I am trying to bring this to people's attention. Just so they can think about it. I don't care if they say their wrong or right but at least they thought about it.

Once again, God does not test us with witchcraft and spells. God's test are totally different.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, but I just want people to not just lay down and accept it because it looks pretty and good. You can keep loving Narnia, but at least you followed God's command to test the spirits whether they are of God or not because many false prophets will go into the world.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. If I am than I apologize, but at least I obeyed God's command and didn't accept Narnia as something just because it looks like the top covering of the gospel story.

Susan does not bring them back to life! Aslan breaks the curse that is held over them! STUPID!

What Bible do you read? The BIBLE FOR ALL PEOPLE WHO WANT TO JUDGE CHRISTIAN BASED STORIES? Hey, Here's a pain killer question: IS HUNTER BROWN GOD INSPIRED? THEY USE MAGIC, RIDE MAGICAL CREATURES, BREAK CURSES, AND LOTS OF OTHER MAGICAL 'WITCHCRAFT' CONTENT! Eat that one up!

Ummmm.....the witchcraft is used by the bad guys. Miller Bros don't use magic to represent God's power.  Totally different.

What are you talking about? There is ABSOLUTLEY NO WITCHCRAFT IN NARNIA! And In Narnia, they don't use Magic to represent God's power either!

Pray I don't freakin get angry and leave Codebearers cause it's full of judgemental people who call themselves 'GOD INSPIRED'! 

RSS

© 2021   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service